View Single Post
Old 04-09-2015, 03:33 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink Islander View Post
My old Cannon Mag 10 died last summer and I'm looking at replacements. Curious what others use/prefer: Cannon, Big Jon, Scotty?? I'm particularly wondering about the Cannon Digi-troll product. Expensive but the bottom tracking feature looks great. Thoughts/advice?

Thanks
O.K., this is going to be a little long...

The digi-troll's I know quite a bit about as I have two of them. Yes the bottom tracking feature is great...when it works properly! The digi-troll requires a seperate transducer for bottom tracking and they are VERY, VERY prone to interference from other transducers and many other electrical devices on your boat like the charging system on your motor. It took me forever to get mine working even somewhat properly and even now they still do not work 100% of the time.

I had to set mine up on a separate battery as the interference from my main motor charging system as well as my kicker motor charging system would cause it to go haywire. I even installed ferrites on all the cable to help eliminate some of the interference. They seem to help a little bit but not much.

The digi-troll transducer cannot be mounted anywhere near another transducer, even though it is on a complete separate frequency. Kind of a PIA when your running a Lowrance fish finder at the same time. I had to move my transducer to the front of the boat!

I also know of two other people who are experiencing the same problem with them and I am working with one to help eliminate some of the issues.

The techs at Cannon haven't been much help unfortunately.

If you read this thread, you will see this is not an isolated thing... http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fis...s-10-problems/

When they do work, they are great! You can link your digi-trolls together so they all read the bottom off one transducer. It's pretty cool watching them go up and down on their own following the bottom and they are very accurate!

The other features of the digitroll such as the "cycling" feature work just awesome and in my opinion is worth paying the extra just for that one feature alone!

I just finished setting up my second fishing boat which has a fiberglass hull (22' eastern). I am hoping the digi-trolls bottom track will work better on this boat than they did on my aluminum hull Premier tri-toon. I think the aluminum may play a part in the interference...not sure yet though.

Still a work in progress!

Edited to add: See updated post below.

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 04-17-2017 at 07:10 PM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote