Thread: Alton Fort
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2016, 02:28 PM   #9
BraunBay49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgilfert View Post
The cottage that I used to rent every summer (for 12 years) for my family was located on Black Point directly across the bay from the Littlemark Island light. The family that owned our rental property (Sean & Betsy Callahan) lived in the home next to us and Betsy's family had owned a good chunk of the shore for many years (including a very large old home slightly inland and high up over the lake). The owner's shore front has a very distinctive blue log cabin style boathouse with a sign over the entrance that reads "Fort Thunderbird". We always wondered what the significance was to this sign. Given the info about the boys camp, the "Fort Thunderbird" boathouse must have been part of the boys' camp back in the day and in thinking about it....the large home that I referred may very well be the "old fort" that you are inquiring about. In all the years that we stayed there....we never ventured up the hill to the main house because it had a locked gate (near the tennis court) and I didn't want to get caught spying.
I attended Ft. Thunderbird in 1958. The boathouse looks as I remember it (although I can't vouch for the color) If you had crept up the hill, and it was still standing, you could have seen the main building that is pictured in the attached photo.
Attached Images

BraunBay49 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BraunBay49 For This Useful Post: