View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 05:50 AM   #35
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad sold the C * C View Post
"...So for this upcoming year 4 I bought a trailer for my “project”, I still didn’t know if it would float and finally got it wet this past fall. It’s a 195? 12’ wooden runabout, I can not figure out the make, so any suggestion are welcome. The boat came with a 1954 15HP Evinrude that looks to be in good shape, but I’m having problems with the pressurized gas tank. I’m not sure what my plans are with this yet, as much as I’d like to keep the outboard vintage I would like the reliability of a newer motor..."

The round chine suggests a 5-ply pressure-molded plywood hull. The steam process for plywood was derived from the British De Havilland Mosquito bomber in WW2. (Nicknamed the "Timber Terror"). Post-war, the process was established in Canada for custom boat plans. (Later purchased by '50s actor Roy Rogers and sold as "Yellow Jacket" boats—of which, a few can be seen on Lake Winnipesaukee).

These wooden boats tended to rot at the transom, so it's possible the hull was shortened to 12-feet to save it from the scrapyard.

OTOH, the presence of ribs would tend to rule plywood out, and "carvel-planking" in, which might make your boat older than the '50s.