Thread: Dead Fish
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 04:20 AM   #19
ApS

Wink "Foam" Not Likely to Harm Fish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 View Post
Right after the thunderstorms earlier this evening we noticed not only tremendous erosion on a homeowner's beach but an approx. 20' x 20' patch of thick white "foam" on the surface of the water right next to the sandy beach. What on earth could it be from????? We decided that we would call the DEP first thing in the morning and have them come out (hopefully) and take a water sample, but within the following hour it swirled around and around and finally dissipated. We've never seen this occurrence before.
Any ideas?
1) "Swirling around and around" is what rafting trip organizers point to, as they conduct tours down the Colorado River.

Quote:
"The Solution to Pollution is Dilution".
2) I've added a few yards of delivered "sand" to a beach—but not here. The foam appeared immediately on contact with the water. I can only guess that the "sand" was impure, and contained a portion of a fine "loamy" substance.

3) You're lucky to have a small washout. A giant "wash-out" occurred near me—years ago. It "took out" a long driveway and part of a leaching field. The lake's water turned cloudy across several hundred feet of lakefront lots.

You may see an increase in dark "silt" in your location; otherwise, fish seem to thrive in what appears to be the worst of water quality.
Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote