View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 10:01 AM   #12
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
If it's just text "copy then paste and match style".
Hi:
I’m glad you e-mailed me because I have always had problems posting to the forum and when I type a lot and it loses it, I get very annoyed!! This will be much better!
Now! For Veasey Shore Road.
You enter at Rt.25 and then there is a sharp bend in the road to the right and if you go to the left it will bring you to Leavitt’s Park. When I use to go up there, there where no houses on that road except Lew Veasey’s place. As you take the sharp turn right, about ¼ of a mile down the road Veasey’s white house set up off the road to the right.
About 100 feet down the road was an old dirt road on the left. This was the road to the camps/cottages we stayed at for many years.
Now when Lew sold the old house, he built a new one down near the lake where the camps where. He extended the old dirt road and it dead-ended at his place and camp #8. Camp #8 was the old bunkhouse he moved down there from the old place, up on the road.
Now the road went passed his place and ended. If I can remember right there was an Iron Gate and perhaps two stone pillars at the entrance to Fitcans or Fitkans, not sure how the name is spelled.
I never went down in there by land, because it had a Keep Out sign and No Trespassing notice. I use to go buy there by water all the time but I could only see the boathouse and never knew if there was a big house in further.
Now you wanted to know where Veasey Cove was. I don’t know how familiar you are with that area but I’ll give you a description as best as I can.
Coming down the shoreline heading south from Center Harbor there is a small island with a house on it and the house takes up all the island it is not passable between the island and the main shore. That’s how close the island is to the shore.
The next cove down is Veasey’s Cove. When he built his house near the water, he painted it red and I noticed the new owners have added a second story to it.
There is a white/black top buoy right in front of this house.
Still traveling down the shore you get to what we called first point, and then there is another cove. Someone has built a large house in there.
Then there is another point and an all sandy cove we use to call diddle cove. Very shallow but nice for swimming but now someone has a camp or house in there and I’m sure that’s private now.
Follow the shore still heading south and you get to the boathouse that was called Fitcans /Fitkans. I remember it had a stone foundation with a room on top with a deck over the boathouse itself.
I don’t know of Beaver Landing. The only landing I know of is Cattle Landing. That is down a ways from Brown’s Boat Basin.
I never heard from Lewy about Sunbeam Lodge but it could have been it was Fitcans.
He did tell me that there was a place that the old boys use to get together and have a few and raise the dickens!! Lew told me one time the old boys got to drinking and a bet was made that this guy couldn’t go through the Beaver Channel full speed. So with a speedboat, like the Miss Winnipesaukee, he went through the channel full speed, pitch dark, no lights and back to the Fitcans boathouse. Now if you ever have been through that channel you’d wonder how he did it but he did, drunk as a skunk!!!
Now he did tell me that his mother & father had a big farm at one time and this apple orchard you mentioned might have been part of the farm. His parents lived there for many years. In fact they where the first people in that area. Lewy told me when his father owned the place there was only 1 camp and Capt. Blackstone (captain of the old side-wheeler Mount Washington) use to keep a row boat there and on weekends he use to row over to Beaver Island and stay the weekend with his girlfriend.
Do you live in that area now?
If you do, Lews’ son still lives up there. The last time I knew he lived in Holderness NH. His name is William L. Veasey.
I’m sure he would have more information; I think he’s 69 or 70 years old.
Let me know how you made out. It would be interesting to find out about Sunbeam Lodge and etc.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote