View Single Post
Old 05-23-2016, 05:42 PM   #32
Rattletrap

Default Phantom

Thanks Phantom for putting me on the spot. With that being said;

First let me say that I was WAY more prepared because of what I learned here, thanks to everyone who's gave their guidance over the past few months it was invaluable (even you Phantom! ) not just with navigation, but setting up the boat, weather etc. I could not have done it without everyone's input……………… I'm in your debt.

As far as where we went;

As soon as we got out of Smiths Cove we hooked around the outside of Lockes Island headed east (I saw everyone taking the short cut to go under GI bridge but I chickened out LOL!!) then went too far east ending up in Saunders Bay thinking I was in Wentworth I was not, I was actually in Saunders DOH! I went back towards GI and hugged GI to avoid the Witches instead going under the bridge I was still too chicken. We hugged GI and headed towards the Weirs (I did come to the realization that I'm completely broke, after looking at some of those amazing houses UGH!) We went through the no wake towards the Weirs, decided to go to the Weirs public docks to practice my pathetic docking skills which didn't get ANY better AT ALL (very humbling) Decided to take a trip under the Weirs bridge into Paugus Bay, did a big loop in PB, then out headed towards Stonedam little tricky as I suspected and I’m pretty sure I ended up on the wrong side of one of the black buoy near FL44 ugh! We then headed west towards Bear Island, where I definitely ended on the wrong side of one of the buoys near 29. We ended up anchoring near Jolly Island for a little bit of grilling and chillin. Found that the anchor that was provided by the dealer is way to small which I did upgrade this week.Then with my finely honed captain skills in place, I headed back towards Smith Cove by way of the GI bridge through the "short cut" between Varney and Lockes back to home port!! With all OEM parts still attached!!!

As far as arguing with the first mate Phantom, I never do. I just yes her to death and tell her she's right which she usually is ............. happy wife happy life!!!

The boat did very well I thought. I'm glad I upgraded to the larger boat and 25" tons and bigger motor. We ended up getting 27MPH by the GPS in a smooth section of the lake. I will say, having the GPS was a big help when I was smart enough to use the Auto Route System on the Garmin’s it gives you a car style GPS line to follow to your pre-determined waypoint. it put me at ease being able to follow a path at first.

I will say that even though there were points that I was clearly lost. I tried to be out of the way of most boaters and busy routes, and the ones that I did "impede" were very patient with me. It was the fulfillment of a dream for me to be out there on my own boat. I'm staring at the calendar and the forecast waiting to get back out!!!

Phontom the Magma Party size grill is ready to go!!! The next nice day I’ll give you a shout on the VHF!!!

Last edited by Rattletrap; 05-23-2016 at 06:28 PM. Reason: :(
Rattletrap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rattletrap For This Useful Post: