View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 03:33 AM   #2
ApS

Lightbulb First Suggestion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakevet View Post
Went out for an afternoon cruise today from raouls cove. Just as I was getting to the channel MP came blasting thru with sirens going. Full speed. Whatever it was..it was serious.
I veered away from channel and ran hull along some rock. Ugghhh.
Prop fine but decent amount of gel coat scraped along keel with a couple of small areas of exposed fiberglass.
Question: how soon does that need to be repaired. Can it wait 2 weeks (or more)?
Thanks
Inspection for structural damage (insurance concerns, what is "a small area of exposed fiberglass"), aside:

If the boat is still in the water, I'd raise it out of the water, apply a heat lamp overnight, then apply a coat of the gelcoat-substitute, "Marine-Tex".

"Marine-Tex" is a two-part white substance which is spread like peanut butter, can be smoothed using a credit card, and cures to a very tough surface overnight. Post season, when sanded (and sanded ) smooth and painted, this could become a permanent fix! (But inspect after a freeze).

Exposed fiberglass will draw in water under the good gelcoat. Depending on the age of the boat, a professional gelcoat repair should be considered—even then, a perfect match in color shouldn't be expected.

Disclaimer: This suggested repair can increase the expense of a later professional repair, so it depends on insurance, the value of those extra 2 weeks, but especially the age of the boat.

For a post-season professional repair, I'd allow a period of weeks-long drying-out after the Marine-Tex is sanded away.