View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 06:38 PM   #28
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Wow did this thread go down hill fast.

Screw the tax arguments. Lets talk about the camps themselves. One of the issues is as people try to update there property you reach a point where you have to make investments. Septic Systems wells etc. Some people feel that the cost of this is not a big deal and would rather keep there camps. While others feel if they are going to spend 30K for a septic installation, and 10K for a well, and have to take a loan, why not take a bigger plunge and improve the camp... more often then not it is cheaper to demo what is there and start over, and things spiral from there... People building to suit what they can afford, and not what the need.....

The only way to keep camps camps, is for them to stay with the original family that has an emotion tie to the camp... however for many the cost of keeping the camp puts to much of strain on them financially. Some times it is a strain emotionally (I fall into this catagory)... both of which bring you to the conclusion that it might be time to move on....
Also - once you start in on doing needed repair work or even just updating sometimes the older places are simply not worth dumping money into. Shoddy construction can be difficult and expensive to overcome. It gets even more complicated when in order to do an improvement requires that a portion of or the entire building be brought up to code. That in and of itself can be cost prohibitive. Doesn't mean that it justifies what many of these places are turning into. Modest is not a typical term used to describes new mainland waterfront construction these days!

That said and I fall into this category myself, many island places are being tastefully fixed up and not destroyed. I guess it all comes down to whether or not you have something decent to start with.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post: