View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 11:34 AM   #26
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
So how can we be part of the solution? This is a serious question, not a wisecrack. What do you think we, as members of society, should do to those small few people who ruin it for everyone?

You know.... That is a Great question and I really do applaud you for that. (being serious).. So many times these get dragged down the wrong path and you really got to the heart of the whole debate no matter what regulation we are discussing.

There is no easy answer to it however. In my opinion the more rules, regulations, restrictions, limits, laws, whatever you want to call them simply reduces your freedom as an individual. Do I believe that laws are necessary?Absolutely, but there are also natural laws that need to be excersiced inherent in common sense and by education.

As mentioned before no matter how many laws are passed you will never be able to contain these few people, no matter what group they are part of. Go fast boats, Kayakers, fisherman, tubers etc etc.The only thing we can do is hold discussions (like this one) voicing our opinions and making people aware of situations so that hopefully they do not engage in activities that ruin it for everyone. Education is the key to fixing societies issues not regulations. Many boaters committing these, what we call acts of "stupidity", are normally not because they are "stupid" but ignorant of the rules of the water and are not familiar with the areas. Many times I see issues, the person in question is not even breaking a law but engaging in activity that still is dangerous or un-courteous to their fellow boaters, (example kayakers cutting across channels causing power boat congestion which could be easily avoided) laws and / or regulations can't fix that only being alert to what "your actions" as an individual in the boating society is causing..

Healthy discussions of the facts and experiences of individuals is what makes these forums great. Adding restrictions simply fuels the underlying fire on whatever topic we are engaged in. This is why if you look back a year ago those individuals that ruined the healthy discussions, on here, rarely visit if at all any more. They had an agenda and I am sure come 2011 they will be back in full force.

They got their way but now we can't discuss reprecussions nor effects in a healthy manner. Again just goes to show you a few bad apples ruins it for the lot.

Hopefully this helps clairify my thoughts. As you probably guessed I am a very big supporter of conservative and libertarian views. But I also see your points and like discussing them.

Thanks for the post!

Last edited by OCDACTIVE; 05-28-2009 at 02:23 PM.
OCDACTIVE is offline   Reply With Quote