Thread: Anchor fit
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2019, 11:53 AM   #11
Bud63

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I spent a substantial amount of time researching anchors a few years ago and posted my results in the forum. As part of the process, I bought a 13# for my 20' pontoon. Even though the Mantus guide suggested 8#, I figured with the bimini (read: giant sail), I would go the next size up. The 13 was too much/unnecessary, so I went to two 8's (bow and stern).

The 8's held us in place for over 4 hours at WA a couple Sundays ago, when wind speeds were around 13-15mph and there was tons of chop. I posted about how I could've sold a bunch of anchors that day.

If you only need one, and you want something that will be unequivocally reliable, go with the 13. It is bigger, for sure, but it fit under one of my pontoon front seats, so it's not that much bigger than the 8 (though it definitely feels it).

If you also need a stern anchor, buy an 8 and try it out front before deciding. I sold my 13 to someone with a 26' runabout, and he says the holding power is incredible.

Either way, search around--Sailor Sam's and a few other places will sell them cheaper and with free shipping most of the time.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I too spent a lot of time researching anchors after discovering that the anchor/windlass combo that came with my Cobalt R7 wouldn't hold worth a damn on any surface. I went with the Mantus 13lb stainless for the front and the 8 lb for the rear. After hauling the 13lb anchor from the engine compartment everytime I needed to use it for 2 years I put a stainless 8lb on the front windlass and a Mantus dinghy anchor on the rear. Both work flawlessly in rough chop and high winds!

Anybody want a 13lb stainless Mantus anchor?
Bud63 is offline   Reply With Quote