View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008, 08:56 AM   #24
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Beach View Post
Is Bear Islander repeating what the anti-speed limit bill side has often claimed or is he being sarcastic? If boaters on either lake operate at a prudent and safe speed then there is no need for additional quantified speed limits. That sounds very reasonable.

Skip is not a troll and I don't think he ever initiated a thread designed to start arguments. I do agree with you we do not need another thread to argue about proposed new speed limits.

Violation of the headway or 6 mph law on Winnipesaukee is already a tool available to the authorities.

Boat safely and prudently
No sarcasm intended. There is no safe and prudent speed standard on the lake yet (no matter what others may say). HB847 will provide one at last. It also provides actual numbers, 45/25 that set a standard of behavior to the boating community.

Setting that standard is what will make a difference. How many speed traps the MP set up, or how many tickets handed out, will make little difference.

I think the number of tickets handed out each year to boaters that were operating at "safe and prudent speeds" that are over the limit, will be counted on one hand. Perhaps one finger.