View Single Post
Old 01-23-2023, 02:38 PM   #40
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
Really? You are somewhat misinformed.

MOULTONBOROUGH, N.H. — Aug 2015 WMUR News
Authorities say a swimmer is recovering from injuries he suffered when he was struck by a motor boat in Lake Winnipesaukee.

The State Police Marine Patrol says an 18-foot outboard fishing boat carrying two men struck the swimmer Sunday morning in Moultonborough.

Both occupants of the boat said they saw a person in a kayak, but they did not see the man swimming alongside the kayaker.

The victim was taken onto the fishing boat and brought to shore. He was being treated at a hospital for non-life-threatening injuries.

And this is the report from Capt. Dunleavey:. Spoiler alert...the boat was going 65 MPH.

In response to your request we spoke about earlier this week, specifically related to accident on Lake Winnipesaukee for the last ten years. Marine Patrol has completed an extensive manual search of its accident data.

The following accidents have been identified as being related to speeds potentially in excess of limits set by RSA 270-D:2 X:

July 7th 5:00 pm Operator of PWC (Personal Watercraft) fell into handle bars 45 mph
July 20th 8:00am Operator struck underwater object and boat sunk 45 mph

August 23rd 8:17am Powerboat struck swimmer 65+mph

September 2nd 2:56pm PWC fall over board 50 mph

Sincerely,

Timothy C. Dunleavy
Marine Patrol Captain
Living in the area where the swimmer was struck and knowing people that where involved in responding to the situation, while emergency crews where in route.... I don't believe the 65 MPH for the boat speed is correct. I also believe that the swimmer and kayaker where in the middle of a channel, which isn't exactly the safest place to be swimming... I don't mean this as an excuse of any kind, but to attribute this accident to speed, is not correct.... there where many extenuating circumstances that lead to this issue.