View Single Post
Old 09-06-2022, 08:35 AM   #24
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
Exactly! So why would anyone fly a flag that is clearly insulting and offensive to every Black American whose ancestors were forced into this country in chains? It is disturbing to see so much of this kind of behavior that has become more common of late. Ditto to those who feel it is somehow appropriate to fly a flag that says " ---- Biden". So many people with shallow, poorly researched opinions feel that somehow they are being cool or a rebel by exhibiting such immature behavior. And regarding those obscene Biden signs, it is been said that profanity is the crutch of the conversational cripple.
Because a great many black Americans were not born here, were not relatives of anyone forced into chains, did not themselves have any family here when this happened, and the same for the people flying such a flag.

My people were not in America until after 1900, should I feel personally feel ashamed by what happened here before then??? Well I dont and will not be convinced I should harbor any sense of responsibility in what happened so long ago.

Any southern American who arrived in the US after the civil war but embraced southern food, music, or other cultural aspects of life in the south should not feel any sense of guilt. And again, theconfederate flag is only offensive to some, not universally condemned as a symbol of racism, that is a new construct by a groups of people with actual history with slavery and also groups with manufactured (for profit) agendas.

So then by that way of thinking, should any American living in the UK be embarrassed to fly an American flag? Because our founding fathers stole every inch of land from mother England in the forming of this country and didnt pay for it??? Need I remind you that lots of British soldiers and English loyalists died in the war for independence.

Time passes and perspectives change and southern pride and heritage and culture are points of pride for many.

Personally I dont care for grits and pickled pigs feet and steel guitar music and so on, but I do respect anyone who has pride in their culture and these are the symbols the confederate flag represent to many in the south, AND including black Americans. And if you dont believe that, pack your bags and travel to the real deep south and see for yourself. Its there!

Clearly its a complex matter, but flying the confederate flag is not a universal sign of support to racism, sorry, people can say it all they want but it doesn't make it so.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post: