Thread: Boating Blues
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
Weekend Pundit

Angry Boating Blues

Here it is, the weekend following Memorial Day weekend, and my boat is still on its trailer parked next to my garage!

It's not from lack of wanna so much as it's a lack of being able to ensure my powertrain is going to run properly.

At the end of last season my boat started having problems, in this case the engine would die after I got on plane. It was just like someone shut off the key or closed the fuel petcock. It would restart just fine, but would keep dying about 30 seconds to a minute after being on plane.

Turns out the problem was two-fold: a partially clogged filter at the carburetor fuel inlet and a funky fuel line that was a bit squishy when I checked it. Both were replaced this spring.

Now that the first problem is fixed (I hope), a second has reared its ugly head - rough idle. I think either my son or I accidentally changed the setting on the idle mixture screw so now it's running a bit rich.

Do you think I could find out the correct setting for the idle mixture anywhere? Nope. Not in my manual(s), not online, and so far, not in any of the Volvo Penta forums. I can find the adjustments for the engine/outdrive combinations prior to and after my 1993 powertrain, but not for mine. Nosiree!! But I'm still looking....

Normally I have our boat in the water during the week prior to Memorial Day weekend. Not this year, though.

Is it any wonder I've got those boating blues?
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote