View Single Post
Old 08-15-2009, 01:09 PM   #237
ApS

Default No Stumps—no trees...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
This erosion was more likely caused by the Airport redevelopment construction on Wolfeboro Neck a few years ago. This started happening three years ago and at least four houses have needed to rebuild there waterfront...The EPA is fully involved and permitting has taken a while for permission to rebuild the waterfront and save the home. Never mind how much it is costing the home owners.
I don't understand how "unpaving" the airport's runway could have affected those homes. There was more runoff when the paved runway was in place—a huge "impermeable surface". However, one noisy homeowner with a noisy sportscar insisted that the dirt road that runs directly behind those homes got a "pave-over".

(An impermeable surface right there).

Erosion works both ways. Runoff moves soil downhill towards the lake, then wakes from oversized boats chew away at the lowest layers of shoreline soil. Uphill soil fills that void through rain.

Also, note the two large-diameter PVC pipes draining runoff that's accumulated under the house to the edges of the lot. (And that there are no stumps or trees in front of the house).

BTW I: That concrete base repair in the lakefront photo is also subject to eventually falling into the lake—an example?

Parking was built behind a cottage in a nearby small lot. (That lot was made into a "micro-lot" by the spec-builder: the two homes share a well and a leachfield: worse yet, the "micro-lot" has a huge driveway easement leading to our latest spec-built McMansion).

Shortly after construction, that relatively tiny new space has caused two large trees to die—increasing erosion around that space—and the tiny new parking area is sliding towards the lake.

As you can see in the below photograph, the blocks are no longer aligned after just two years. I haven't looked at it this year.

BTW II:
A week later, the "unseen boat" returned leaving a similar wake: It was an "Express Cruiser".
Attached Images