View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 11:48 AM   #7
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts

Broadhoper and others make good points for all over the lake, not just Little/Big Islands. I double checked on my 1962 chart published by the Public Utilities Commission (simpler and easier to read for me, but I use Bizer on the boat because it is updated for buoys that didn't exist in 1962). Anyway, when I was a kid, we had a boat stored in Lakeport and went between Big and Little Islands day and night. The buoy locations then were the same as they are now. One difference than was that buoys were larger, but also wooden. More visible but prone to breaking and sinking. So you couldn't always rely on seeing a buoy. The plan was to know where you were in relation to land masses and where the water was deeper. If there was a buoy, fine, but it could be missing or out of position. That's why it is only an "AID" to navigation. Charts, MP, USCG etc all disclaim any responsibility for you grounding if there was no buoy.
Someday in late fall when water is low, take a small airplane ride over the lake at low altitude. Bring your Bizer chart and compass and look at the shallow or rocky spots. The buoy system will make a lot more sense.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote