View Single Post
Old 06-14-2021, 04:01 PM   #13
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeLakes View Post
XCR-700, all good points and thank you for the reply. I agree with some, weight and size and simplicity and # parts in particular. But I think you may be a bit out of date with some of the advancements in 4 strokes. They will run all day at WOT, torque and acceleration are pretty close to on a par with 2 strokes, and in terms of reliability I simply don't hear of any of my 4 stroke owning friends having issues.

BTW I don't have any skin in the game, like I said have some old 2 strokes (late '50's Evinrude 3, 1961 Evinrude 40, mid '70's Evinrude 6) and don't own any others.
I totally agree they will run all day at full throttle, but how many hours in total before failure or they suffer a noticeable decrease in power vs the same HP engine in 2 - stroke running at that speed.

Basically start both motors, run them at 5000 RPM only stop for the 4 stroke engines oil changes and then continue the test and I seriously doubt the 4 - stroke will last as long as the 2 - stroke before something goes wrong. The timing chain and cam and lifters will fail long before the 2 - stroke motor will have problems.

You commonly find old 2 - stroke outboards from the 60's and 70's still going strong and commercial fisherman running Yamaha OX-66 motors with countless thousands of hours on them.

Do you really believe we will see the same lifespan from the 4 - stroke engines? I'm not betting on it,,,

Oh, and as far as "skin in the game" well count me out, our current Formula has a stern-drive,,,

BUT,,, I still have my Yamaha V-Max on my Glastron CVX waiting for a full boat refurb, well except for the motor which will last forever because its a 2 - stroke ;-) (oh and I still have my 6 HP Chrysler on the rowboat, and I feel certain that will live forever!)
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote