View Single Post
Old 06-14-2021, 03:25 PM   #11
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofn View Post
1) As for pics or it did not happen, if I can figure out a screen shot will the CC statement suffice?
2) As for keeping old stuff "just because" 1965-66? little then fishing w/ father behind the Alton cemetery with a kerosene lantern...still fish but use a battery operated one now...brighter & no smell.
3) As for merits of 2 or 4 stroke...I'm an end user of both, was committed to one but then "saw the wallet" and changed. I listed 7 upgrades/changes with my 4-stroke I'm all ears if you want to tell me what I missed with my 2-stroke?
4) As for nostalgic I had a model-T 175 (only need 7 tools to fix it) now I have a 150 Lambo (But you need a computer to fix it) but the Lambo gets better gas mileage?
5) As for Mom's Pinto, remember on the rear bottom fender and the door the
Pinto decal...what was under the decal?
MPG... due to the oil crises. All I'm saying is upgrade... MPG...saving $180-200 this year in 2-stroke oil. Early guesstimate on gas $300. Tune up unknown, cheapest in years was $385...usually $600 plus due to part replacements needed, I'm very nostalgic... about keeping money in my wallet.
But you are comparing your x-years old 2 - stroke to a brand new 4 - stroke, not a reasonable comparison.

I could tell you all the reasons a new 2 - stroke is better than an x-year old 4 - stroke when they first hit the market and anyone would say not valid.

You need to compare both as current model year engines on a boat where the differences like weight may have an impact (or not) and you will see each has its merits.

That 50+ Lbs - 100 Lb extra weight of the same horsepower 4 - stroke engine is an unacceptable problem on many bass/ski/sport/flats boats, where as on a 40' Formula its not even notable.

All is not equal, and 4 - strokes outboards are not a universal better option.

Maybe better in many cases, but not all.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote