View Single Post
Old 06-14-2021, 03:06 PM   #10
XCR-700

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeLakes View Post
So I'm reading what you are saying, and respect your opinion, but you didn't mention any merits of 2 strokes over 4 strokes? I get it that some will keep a 2 stroke because it's running well and works well, but as the above poster said then he'll replace it with a 4 stroke. What would be the reason for buying a 2 stroke in 2021?
2 - Stroke Engine Pros:

Less weight, and for some boats thats critical.

Smaller physical size and again for some boats thats critical.

Far less parts, so if you have an out of warranty problem significantly less expensive to fix.

Less parts generally means more reliable.

Less electronics, and in a wet environment that is always a plus and its a major plus later in the motors life as the electronics age and fail regardless of the wet environment.

More torque/faster acceleration, again for some boats thats critical.

2 - Stroke engines generally provide longer high RPM service life. 4 - Stroke engines are not normally suited for thousands of hours running at 5000+ RPM, just look at the cruising RPM of most sterndrive motors, as opposed to outboard.

On current model 2 - stroke engines the operational maintenance costs are similar to 4 - stroke motors as modern 2 - stroke use significantly less oil and spark plugs than their predecessors.

Less initial cost. (speaks for itself)

I dont think I need to keep going,,,

Again, not knocking 4 - strokes, just saying 2 - strokes are not dead yet and each has its pros and cons. Buy whats right for your use and application and you will be a happy boater.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote