View Single Post
Old 06-12-2021, 12:44 PM   #1
mofn

Default For those who still have 2-strokes

Mid August 2020, my 2002 175 h.p. 2-stroke completely blew up. I had the 175 about 5-6 years after my 1986 Force died after I hit a rock (yes a Force will last that long IF they are well maintained). I was dead set against a 4-stroke, I was going to get a used 2-stroke! I was a flat earth anti-vaxer of 4-strokes. Reason, the weight increase, insane money they were asking, cost to rework everything etc etc.
We rented a boat after the 175 died and went for a last hurrah of 2020…5 hours later I was convinced I was going to get a 4-stroke!
It went 2.3 mph…mine would not go that slow no matter how much money I spent trying!
Now 2021, the fuel savings, noise, smoke, smell, carrying mix oil, EASY start… no 2-step ritual, Vessel View blue tooth to the phone/tablet no instrument panel needed, and that is only after 2 days of using my new 150 4-stroke.
The 175 h.p Shep’s to Braun Bay used 5-6 gallons of gas day in and day out…
This past Thursday West Alton Marine to Shep’s 18 mph the whole way at ½ throttle used 3.25 gallons (Rough figure… 4 to 1 increase in fuel after 2 days, when I get a chance will re-crunch m.p.g. I think it maybe a little higher? )
W.O.T. is now a 20% increase in speed over the 175, and at W.O.T. I’m still 500 rpm’s under max with a 4-blade 19-pitch prop.
My biggest complaint of the 4-stroke… already tied up twice and got off with engine still running, you can’t hear it or feel it!
If you can afford it and still have a 2-stroke take it from a former flat earth anti-vaxer make the change I now wish I did it after the Force… oh well.
mofn is offline   Reply With Quote