View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 10:42 PM   #3
Mee-n-Mac

Lightbulb Shrinking photo size

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHKathy
I have not uploaded any photos in quite some time. I tried to tonight, for the first time with the updated site/server. I have dial-up, so it usually takes a while. After some time the screen came back with a message that i would have to delete some of my other posted pictures, because i didn't have enough disk space. I only have a few dozen pictures posted here, and i never had any problem before, and i know there are other posters with lots more great pics. I think my picture file size may be too big possibly? The thing is, I don't know how to shrink them before uploading. Can any one help me?
There are 2 dimensions which you can shrink to reduce the file size. First you should resize the picture. As an example a ~4 Mega-pixel camera will output a picture that is something like 2500 by 1875 pixels in size. You will want to reduce (by resizing) the number of pixels so it's somewhere between 1000 to 800 pixels on the longest side. The size would now be about 1000 by 750 or 800 by 600. As you can see the file size is now < 1/5 of what it was. The next thing you want to do is use enough JPEG compression to reduce the file size down to what you want (need) it to be. Keep in mind the more you compress the smaller the file size but the greater the reduction in picture quality. I don't know what image editor you have but all of them do these two functions. If you don't have an image editor you can even use Microsoft Photo Editor that came with WIndows XP (assuming you're not a Mac or Linux person ). It's not the best program to use but it'll do in a pinch. Another program you can use is Irfanview, which you can download for free. If you post some more details on what you're familiar with "we" can further advise you on exactly what and how to do the aforementioned.

Last edited by Mee-n-Mac; 12-23-2005 at 09:59 AM.
Mee-n-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote