View Single Post
Old 08-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #30
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
LOL... parents can’t get kids to clean their room, teachers can’t get kids to do their homework, what are the chances of an employer getting the kids to deliver excellence?

Sometime around 150 years ago Abner Doubleday created a game called baseball. He paid a small group of talented man to play. Time went on and they televise the game. As a young boy I watched and idolize these players and spent a lot of time in the backyard throwing a ball with my brother. We dreamed of one day earning the big salaries that those baseball players were paid to have fun. Neither one of us ever saw that paycheck.

About a week ago 40 million people were playing the game Fortnite. One got a paycheck for $250,000. 39,999,999 of them stayed home with empty pockets. This is the new dream for that younger generation and it is their argument to their parents. ”let me practice this in my room and I can make millions instead of busing tables and make hundreds”

Those who know me well have always labeled me a strong forecaster. I make my plans based on my forecast of the future opposed to my understanding of the past.
As a high school teacher, my experience is fundamentally different--perhaps it's a regional thing, but almost all of my students work, and a sizable majority at local restaurants, senior citizen homes (with residents and in the food service), and even hospital food programs (Lahey, in particular, is a score for the kids).

I have very, very few juniors and seniors who don't work or intern on a regular basis. In fact, my guidance department has a bulletin board where they post jobs and there are almost never any that go unfilled for long.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote