View Single Post
Old 07-07-2019, 07:29 AM   #5
WeirsBeachBoater

Default From my end of the switch

As I sat down to breakfast this morning, and had my morning check of the site, I was saddened to see this post. As you may or may not know, I am one of the Captains at the other end of the switch, so let me share my perspective with you. I personally flashed back last night to the southwest corner of Rattlesnake, Someone along the mainland around Ames Farm and North end of Diamond, Also Lake Shore Park and the South end of Welch. I can't speak for my fellow Captain as to if and where you shone the spotlight. Things to keep in mind, we love this tradition as much as you. The spotlight is controlled in the wheelhouse, and our wheelhouse is the Nerve Center of the ship, We are responsible for hundreds of passengers, 15-25 crew, serving dinner, drinks, 2 bands that are entertaining, dancing and wonderful sunsets. All this goes on while you are at the other end of the light switch on your house, camp or sometimes cell phone flashlight. We try to "flash" everyone, but Safety aboard our vessel is and will always be Priority #1, so if we don't see you, please don't be insulted or feel neglected, the fact is we may be dealing with something or someone on the cruise that needs our attention.

While we are on this subject a few items that you can help us with, Porch lights, interior lights and even cell phone lights are ok, Giant Spotlights, Strobes and other hi wattage lights shone at the wheelhouse will NOT be responded to, our eyes adjust to the darkness, and they are blinding to say the least. Please do not shine these at the Mount, if your neighbor is one of those people please tell them as well.

I hope this helps you understand, we aren't ignoring you or doing away with traditions. We are Keeping our ship, passengers and fellow boaters safe.

Sincerely,
Captain Denis
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to WeirsBeachBoater For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links