View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 09:08 PM   #18
LongShort

Default Thanks for the help!

Thank you everyone for your thoughts on this subject. I always wanted to be on the waterfront and I think this may be the time to do it. This is a vacation home and we are a couple of hours away but I am also self employed so have a lot of flexibility if I do need to get up here quickly.

Taxes are definitely an issue and I have crossed off several towns on the lake due to the ridiculously high tax rates. I can justify buying the house as an asset but writing a huge check every year for taxes is something I just can't swallow.

The social aspect of leaving a community is certainly something we have thought about as we do enjoy our neighbors and the activities that go on. Having said that I must admit that our kids and us tend to enjoy our privacy a lot and they have not taken part in a lot of the social activities that go on for the kids in the association. I have a feeling that as they move into their teenage years we will be bringing a lot of friends up with us.

It sounds like the positives certainly outweigh the negatives for most people so I'll probably keep looking and hope to find the right place for us.

Is water quality or milfoil an issue I should keep in mind for certain areas?
LongShort is offline   Reply With Quote