View Single Post
Old 07-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #89
New Hampshire Lake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Its YOUR opinion that the lake houses are too ostentatious and not in harmony. If you want a quieter, more restrictive lake go to Squam or one of the less developed lakes.

Lake Winni has a long storied history of large houses, speedboats and big money. The "barn door" has been open on Lake Winni far too long to get the horses back into the barn.

There have been numerous opportunities for the State of NH/lakeside towns to buy up some lakefront/island property and preserve it.... yet no real effort was made. The lake adds too much money to the economy. So if Bezos were to swoop in and try to buy it all up... the State would block the deal. Too much tax $$$ would be lost, not to mention the economic devastation to the area.

The reality is.... that except for island dwellers, nobody NEEDS a boat. They are a luxury item.... So just like a luxury car... there going to be Ferraris, and Lamborghinis driving around with the Chevy's & Fords...

Woodsy
1) Yes, my opinion. I wrote it.
2) I do go to a different lake. My roots are at Winni but I left years ago to get away from the ocean-going vessels and GFBL ridiculousness. But I still love Winni and hold out hope for her future.
3) My question was a philosophical one, not a practical one. I'm curious to know if you think there should be any limits to what people can do on the lake. Philosophically speaking, do you have an objection to extraordinary wealth being used to purchase ALL property, close docks, marinas, etc? SHOULD Bezos be allowed to do that if he chose to?
4) The analogy of luxury cars is problematic because cars are the same size. A better analogy would be allowing monster trucks to drive on 93 at 70 miles an hour. Or, in some cases, a Boeing 787.
New Hampshire Lake Man is offline   Reply With Quote