View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 04:34 AM   #22
ApS

That this is from 1956 doesn't surprise me. This is the old grass landing strip, which was normal for the times and for the region. There was no telephone service—or even electricity service—ten years earlier.

The runway wasn't paved until years later. Having failed because of the freezing and heaving of underground springs, the runway was properly "plumbed" underneath and repaved the following year.

Even after decades of weekly mowings, the clear-cut seen at the lower right has slowly grown back. This property lies near the end of Forest Road. Forest Road got its name because it was a dark forested tunnel to drive through to reach the end. Though I have wandered through Forest Road's many forested acres, I can't recall that the clear-cut in the photo ever existed!

Not pictured there is the blue airpark hanger, added in 1979 and still in place today. The three-digit telephone number style went out by 1964.

The small-appearing shoreline "notch" at the most distant part of the runway is the opening to Johnson's Cove, which lies further to the right in this still-heavily-forested photo. The airport's developer—who bought much of Johnson's Cove—had a disagreement with the town regarding a property tax increase and, among other reasons, the whole works is now in foreclosure.

In 1956, Camp Wyanoke lay beyond that "notch", and reached nearly to Carry Beach. (Far right-hand corner of Winter Harbor, with Jockey Cove and Wolfeboro Bay lying beyond Carry Beach in the hazy distance). Aside from one lakefront lot, which now sports a McMansion, just one structure ( a "model home") has been built since the runway was torn up in 2006.

The huge grassy clearing across the water from the former Camp Wyanoke is most likely the Melanson property off Highland Terrace in Wolfeboro. Melanson is the local realtor family who, among current (and many other offerings), sold Rattlesnake Island lots subsequent to this brochure's printing.

Rattlesnake Island lies "just around the corner" from Wyanoke's Winter Harbor and—to relate it to this photo—would appear about a mile to the right of this photo.

Last edited by ApS; 09-08-2009 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Add details...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote