View Single Post
Old 07-01-2021, 03:46 AM   #16
ApS

Arrow Trees, Not Masts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
The OP doesn't give results, nor did we hear of any mishaps in the news. While I don't want to diminish the folly of venturing out in a known storm condition, I can think of a few simple, easy, safety plans. For example, When I was last there, Melvin Island had a bunkhouse. A short distance to secure the boats and get indoors. Also a short distance to any number of main land docks between Chase Point and the camp. To me, the best the fire boat or MP could do would be to tow the sailboats to the nearest shore. Trying to transfer people from one boat to another in a storm is not a good plan. With this in mind, I'd expect the camp to have a power boat on standby anytime a group of campers leaves their home cove.

I'm not a sailor, but isn't a two masted sailboat, capable of carrying 12 people grounded? I'm curious as to what actually transpired during and after the storm, not just speculation about potential dangers.
"Grounding" a sailboat is problematical. It appears best to make one's sailboat a poor target, not a good one. Tempered against that, lightning strikes on sailboats are not abundant enough to reach a conclusion.

"Grounded" sailboats should attract lightning, and direct lightning's extreme voltage to the water; however, those on board are not immune to being struck by "tendrils" of "still-powerful" electricity.

At an anchorage, most grounded boats are missed by lightning, while an ungrounded boat alongside is struck. I'd dock a sailboat next to a tall steel vessel.

Twenty-five years ago, recreational sailors in a U.S. Navy port had lots of large metal choices. (Except for docking next to "Boomers").

The thing not to do is head for shore and wait out the storm under a tree!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote