Thread: Bike Week
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 10:27 AM   #75
Rich

I've said it many times (and I'm sure other's have also), the Wiers has such potential, with it's unique charm and features: The lake, The Boardwalk, The Train, The Pier, The Beach, The Iconic Sign, The Mountains, The View!

If the business owners won't do it, the Chamber of Commerce should.

There could be a (not that I personally like any or all of these):
  • Bike week (we have that)
  • Boat week,
  • Bikini week,
  • Fishing week (coincide with the fishing derby),
  • Wakeboard week (have some events that people can watch from shore),
  • Waterski week (same as Wakeboard week),
  • Artisan's week (have "Made in NH" type vendors),
  • Sand Sculpting week,
  • Ice Fishing week (is the lake ICE solid enough to support this off the docks?),
  • Snowmobile week,
The list could go on and on. Of course, we don't really need a 'week' long event that will snarl traffic every week, some things could be weekend events, or 'Friday/Saturday night only events.

Have events that bring people of different demographic and economic backgrounds, nothing will appeal to everyone.

Once the area starts picking up, there will no longer be a need to have events to create a draw.

Look at what Meredith, Wolfboro and Alton have done, their waterfronts look beautiful and have much less to offer. Or take a trip to Lake George and see how that area looks!

Is it just that no one has any vision, or there just is no drive to do this? I'd think after a bit of time, those that own business's there would start to thrive, but all we have now is worn out looking arcades and such.

It looks like some updates have happened, the boardwalk has been improved, the roads, curbs, etc. This is a start, but how can business be encouraged to clean up and improve things? Do they need a tax break or some other incentive to update things?

At least those that purchased the Winnipesaukee Pier seem to have some vision and are slowly improving things!

Last edited by Rich; 06-19-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote