View Single Post
Old 02-26-2018, 06:38 PM   #29
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I agree with your point but also see that as the problem. The lack of life's experiences and the liberal leanings and teachings of the education system are at the root of the problem. Teachers who have spent a lifetime (since first grade) in the education system have the same short coming. They have not run a business, hired help, or done a lot of things out in the everyday world yet they are teaching our children to prepare them to go out into the world.

In my opinion, there should be a lot more of life's skills taught at the high school and college level. Learn to balance a checkbook. What does it mean when my car makes that noise? Teach kids (of both sexes) a small amount of building construction and minor repair so they know how to fix small things in their home. Teach negotiation skills so that when they buy a home, make a deal to purchase a car, or even ask for their next raise or promotion they are mentally equipped to best represent themselves. I know college graduates, really bright people, who barely know which end of a hammer you hold onto. When their car or home has a problem they just call someone and pay a big price. When money is tight that is not a great option and those are the people who usually get taken.

When the old bowling alley in Alton burned, after it had been converted into condos, and was just about ready for the sales to begin, a local (Laconia) reporter wrote about the ten 18,000 square foot condos that had burned. Really? I talked to her, it wasn't a typo. She really had no idea.

True story: I know someone with a house on the lake worth several million dollars and he has a chandelier in the entry way of his home. When a light bulb burns out he just calls an electrician to change the bulb. I guess that is OK if money is no object, but not for me. I will go to Lowe's and buy a step ladder.

These are just my opinions. I am sure others will think differently.
Sounds like a "liberal" government program to do the parents job.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote