View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 11:11 AM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Living on the boat

My family had a 1950 Chris Craft Cruiser that we lived on, mostly weekends, home ported at Welch Island, but when it was too windy we hooked onto a mooring at Mark Island. In those days you could just install a mooring anyplace. We stayed overnight at the Weirs, Meredith, Center Harbor and Wolfeboro. My father loved to explore the lake. We rented an outboard from Goodhue Boat Yard to explore the Forties. $1/hr. We climbed Rattlesnake several times from different sides. Once, my mother nosed the cruiser up to the steep ledge facing the broads. Dad and I stepped off, and climbed while she circled below. There was a measured mile on that side of Rattlesnake island that was also marked on the charts. Prior to 1960, everything on Welch ran on propane. For running water, many had an elevated tank filled by a pump, and then gravity to the fixtures. The path around the perimeter of Welch Island went in front of all the camps and there was more interaction (and fewer camps) After 1960, the power line became the primary path, behind the camps, less random interaction, but island friends have unique relationships, particularly sharing DIY skills, tools and spare parts.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post: