View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 03:46 PM   #48
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. The audio option is definitely one of the features that is leading me to Sea-Doo. The other ones are the Ergolock sides--I've not sat on the new Yamaha skis, but I felt my legs were like riding a horse on the one I did ride (I've got tree trunk legs)--rear platform size, handgrip palm rests, and trim (the VX Cruiser HO, which would be the Yamaha I'd be looking at/is comparable, doesn't have trim).

In terms of reliability, what I've found are four things: 1. Maintenance matters for all machines, but definitely for Sea-Doo. Almost all of the failures could be traced to maintenance. 2. Sea-Doo is ahead of the curve with features, but those features need time for kinks to be worked out. 3. Supercharged machines bring an extra complexity that, along with #1 and #2 seem to have hit Sea-Doo's reputation for reliability. #4. Dealer matters. From my research, much of the "non-fatal" issues are the result of poor dealer prep. Loose hoses, improper seals, etc. that should easily be avoidable with a good/thorough dealer.

I'm still a little open to Yamaha as DaSilva's sells both, and I'm looking forward to working with them, but there's a lot to keep me focused on Sea-Doo.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I find that BRP really tweaks/tunes their machines to get every last bit out of them. Having been a snowmobiler for a long time it always seemed like the ski-doos were the ones always in the shop. Same company.

Dealers have a checklist to go through on every machine for prep. As far as a pwc goes, there isn't much to it as unlike a snowmobile or atv they arrive basically complete. With sleds skis aren't usually attached, front ends need to be aligned, windshields, off, etc. I bought a pwc from HK once and they had it out of the crate, fired up and ready to go within an hour or two.

Just saying I think there is more to it than just dealer prep that makes a machine reliable, but having a solid dealer backing it when you need them is important. I would never buy from Rochester Motorsports as I think they are goons. I have never bought from DaSilva, but haven't heard any complaints. I have done business with HK and it has always been good.

I am not saying I wouldn't ever buy another Seadoo though! I do like them. That stereo...Gotta have it.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote