View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 08:04 PM   #79
WinnDixie

Default Can't resist

Have to play the "do you remember" a little
Do any of you remember...
When REALLY large numbers of what we kids called "four-motored bombers" would fly overhead..lots of times at night. They made a very deep, loud droning sound that was scary. Never realized back then I would not ever hear that sound again. That's OK, though!
When the time was announced on the radio ,it would be "It is now 8 o'clock, Eastern Wartime."
We would race home after school to listen to "Superman", "Tom Mix", "The Lone Ranger" on the radio and pray it wouldn't be too filled with static. It would stay light quite a long time at night, even in winter, because of "Eastern Wartime"
We would save up Box Tops forever and send away, along with 25 cents, for a magic ring or some marvelous artifact Superman or Tom Mix was using. We'd wait an eternity for it to arrive...and...omigod, what a piece of junk it was!! Even a kid knew it...not that you could admit it. I wonder if anyone actually saved one of them...through all these years.
Later on, there were "real cars" again on the scene. My family had one with fins, actually. It shifted with push buttons!
Cool music (!) arrived, like Bill Haley and the Comets...and you had 45's.
And, finally...my family being the last ones on the planet to get one...we had television!
Anyone remember that stuff??
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnDixie For This Useful Post: