Thread: launching alone
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2004, 06:01 AM   #6
Throbbin Rods

Practice Practice Practice. I have a Starcraft Islander 190V, a fairly large and heavy boat. I launch and load alone 90% of the time. At the approach to the launch get everything ready including a long dock line off the bow. Remove any transom straps or gunwale straps. Unplug the trailer lights. When it's your turn back the boat in till the water is just under the tops of your trailer's fenders. Get out and unhook the safety strap and winch. Push the boat off and pull it out of the way to tie up. Get in your rig and drive it away so the next person can do the same. I am consistently faster than the guys with smaller boats who don't practice practice practice. If you are not sure fo your trailer maneuvering skills, find an empty parking lot some Sunday morning and set out some cones. Practice backing through them from several different approaches and angles. One tip is to place your right hand at the bottom of your steering wheel and the turn the wheel in the direction you wish the boat to go. Happy boating and if I see you on the launch you can be sure I'll offer to help.
Throbbin Rods