Thread: Got Boats?
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2004, 10:16 AM   #127
zantheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident
Yes driver responsibility is priority.
But a little common sense would also prevail.
The lake is getting more and more crowded and there is nothing you or I or anyone else is going to do to change that for now. So stop trying to find fault in boaters and take a little initiative. Noticed a couple out there last year with those orange flags. Highly visible from a great distance. Great idea I thought.
I've notice that you are great at pointing fingers.
Why not help promote safe boating instead of rating all of us based on the actions of a few.
Power Squadron, Marine patrol to mention a couple are out to promoting safe boating why not join them. I for one think that this whole boater education thing falls short. It's a great start but needs to be updated regularly. Rules and regulations change from year to year. I belive we should be required to take refresher course every so often to stay on top of things.
You always seem to be quick to post a negative reply. I've been boating on this lake for a number of years. I can't begin to tell you how many boaters I've helped out, towed in to the nearest dock, etc. Yet I drive a semi fast boat. I say semi cause although it pushes 70 there are other much faster. So does this make me a bad offshore boater? Did I neglect to mention it's only 25', about the average size of a lot of you family bow riders not traveling the lake?
Belmont:

I wonder if that couple you saw with the orange flag was myself and my wife. Here in New Jersey it is required by law to put up an orange flag when water skiing or tubing. When we were at Winnipesaukee last summer we noticed that no other boats were flying one for this but decided we would put ours up anyway. We had several boats pass by but no one come close or caused concern. After reading your post I will always put it up law or no law.

Alex
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
zantheman is offline   Reply With Quote