View Single Post
Old 11-02-2023, 12:13 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,953 Times in 1,920 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I just had a 5 head, 48000btu, heat pump install and I noticed that some of the heads keep throwing heat even though the room has reached the temperature setting. We have a 3-bedroom Cape, and the two bedrooms upstairs aren't being used so I have those heads turned off. The one in the basement is set at 60 degrees but the thermometer reads 68 degrees and it's still putting out heat.
My tech told me that if I don't have all the heads on, excess heat could be released through the other smaller heads. I just figured I'm saving electricity by not heating these two rooms that aren't being used. Has anyone experienced this?
This is all new to me, still playing around with it, trying to figure out the best temperature settings on all the heads. So today I have them all on but set the 3 smaller 6000btu heads at minimum temperature, which is 60 degrees.
Couple things...First off make sure your fan is on Auto mode...

On mine (Mitsubishi), the temperature reading shown on the thermostat comes from the actual blower unit on the wall and not the physical thermostat itself so depending on where the blower unit is mounted can vary to what the actual temp is at the thermostat.

Your tech is correct about excess heat being bled through other units. If that is the case simply turn your thermostat down more to where you feel comfortable.

There are other more serious reasons for this occurring such as condenser freezing up and that drastic of a difference does not seem quite right. I would definitely have it double checked by your tech.

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 11-02-2023 at 12:44 PM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote