View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow SB464 Hearing Yesterday

The supporters of the speed limit law on Lake Winnipesaukee filed SB464 in an effort to make the law permanent before the formerly agreed upon two year study was completed.

Yesterday there was a hearing in Concord for said SB464, which started 10:30 am and went on until around 4:30 pm. It was not as well attended as the previous speed limit hearings, knowledge of the hearing was not widespread. In my opinion, both sides seemed to be equally represented. Though many attendees did have to leave part way through, including committee members. I know they will catch up with what transpired after their exit because the testimony was being taped for transcription.

It was a very long day. Everyone who wanted to testify in regards to their view, were given the opportunity. My thanks go to the committee and others that allowed this to happen.

Winnipesaukee.com was pretty well represented, which I think is pretty cool! Nice to put faces to the names.

OCDACTIVE
WeirsBeachBoater
Hazelnut, whom I recognized from his Patriots jacket and talk of twins.
DoTheMath
Coastal Laker
Myself
Wolfeboro Baja

Each one of us spoke except for Wolfeboro Baja.

There certainly may have been other members from Winnipesaukee.com, but I am unaware of who they might be. They did not come forward to interact with me.

I was unprepared to testify and extremely nervous to do so. A member of the committee and our Forum friends encouraged me to do so, as I am an islander that is present on The Broads for a goodly portion of the year and this area is of great importance to the issue.

I counted 17 people speaking for the bill. (One lady spoke twice, but I counted her only once.)

14 spoke against the bill.

I forgot to write down which side Robert J. Letourneau, Chairman was on.

And I also missed which side speaker #18 was on.

Merrill Fay and Hal Lyon were there and both spoke. The owner of the Lincoln House spoke as well, along with other people with names that you and I would recognize.

The committee listened, asked questions and gave consideration to the testimony of each and every individual that came forward. Democracy at it’s best!

It is my understanding that the committee will be voting on this bill in the next week or two.

This post is intended to be neutral and informative, which I hope has been accomplished. I certainly could add more, but hesitate to do so.
This should not turn into a speed limit debate - we have been there and done that. We all have our sides and have made our opinions known.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation in keeping this an informative thread.

The following is the only article that came up in a Google search.
Boat speed limits debated

WMUR was there and did an interview with OCDACTIVE as well as the opposing side.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post: