View Single Post
Old 08-08-2021, 11:03 AM   #145
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
I’ve had Well water at 3 locations. Only issue at all 3 was iron which is easily removed. Just had a well put in an it’s great. Town water around here (not available where I’m at) is ok. Most town systems need some sort of “treatment”.

I have gareden and lawn I water back in MA with a fairly good size water bill and most of it is not going down the drain. But sewer would double the bill. I think it would cost $10k or more just to be allowed to hook up. Price keeps going up. And then $10-20k to actually hook in. So it could cost $20-$40k and double my water bill. Vs $200 to pump every few years.

You are not required to hook up. Probably if building new or septic needed replacement yes. But they don’t force you to disconnect from a working septic. I doubt any town does that. But possibly in very problematic area they do.
Water treatment in this area is generally reverse osmosis with UV treatment. It is the most cost effective system with Laconia having the building and system built so that it could easily double or triple current output. The lake water is removed from Paugus and treated.

Our well systems generally put out iron (staining) and calcium (water spots)... hard water... but some location have organic matter and can experience soft water conditions that need to be resolved. Simple test kits exist for each.

We can get doses of arsenic or leaching of various distillate derivatives, but that is rather rare. Radon is generally only a situation with an artisan well, as the granite can embedded the water with it... but other than on the map (https://www.dhhs.nh.gov/dphs/radon/d...don-map-nh.pdf) would be rare... with odds increasing on whether the home is really tight (low air exchange) and has a basement/cellar or a crawl space.

It would be doubtful to be able to purchase a home in a low density area, not on a water body, that had the option of municipal water and sewer.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote