Thread: Wet drywall
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2021, 01:25 PM   #8
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
. The drywall will likely need to be ripped out and you need to dry the space behind it or you risk even worse problems.
Hence my question about whether I should open the doors to the kneewall space to dry that out.

Quote:
If there is insulation behind the drywall, you need to make sure its not wet back there and if it is you need high-flow fans and dehumidifiers to dry it out.
I do have a dehumidifier. It creates a fair amount of heat. Should I put it upstairs anyway? And maybe exhaust the air out the windows with fans? Fresh air in one end and bad air out the other end.

Quote:
Time is critical in this high humidity weather.
Exactly. That's why I'm hesitating to open the upstairs windows. Someone has already inspected the attic (no leaks) and the attic kneewall space (5 leaks, damage to two drywall panels). I could remove the insulation and 2 drywall panels, but that would open up the kneewall space to the living space, which worries me, e.g., particles of fiberglass insulation released into the air. Is that a concern?

I need to consider what's ideal and what's possible. Here's the reality: I can't do everything at once. I have to take care of the roof. After I replace the entire roof my funds will be limited. I'm trying to figure out the best short-term solution to protect my health and the walls.

Solution 1: Run two air conditioners upstairs to remove humidity.

Solution 2: Run dehumidifier.

Unresolved questions:
(1) Windows and kneewall doors open or closed?
(2) Remove drywall and insulation now or not, given that I can't do the whole drywall repair immediately?
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote