View Single Post
Old 07-14-2020, 01:26 PM   #11
jazzman

We face Southwest and it's kind of the best of all worlds. The season is easily a month longer at either end because of the sun exposure and in the middle of summer you're protected from the hot sun in the west after 4pm. Sunsets are available every day of the year.

We're on the broads. It can make boat docking challenging in a NW wind, but I don't find it impedes swimming (if you're exposed on the broads, you'll likely have a breakwater which can make swimming a little easier).

Of course the NE views are the best, but looking at the Belknap mountains is pretty nice too.

I'm a big fan of the east side of the lake. There is way less human and boat traffic over here. You need to make sure you understand weekend boat patterns as part of the equation. The western shore of the lake is like a 4 lane highway on nice weekend days and the east side has a few choke points too that can get pretty busy.

We find a flat yard between the house and the water to be really nice. You get a much better sense of living on the water from that perspective.

I happen to live on an island and love the lifestyle. You do need a decent sized boat. You do need a mainland dock. There are days when you really can't leave, so you have to plan ahead a little. But, there are way fewer people around and it's very quiet. I can go a week in the shoulder seasons and not interact with another human.

Island house prices are about 1/2 of mainland (and of course the taxes are too). You can find a pretty nice island place for way less than your budget.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote