Thread: Speed Limit
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2005, 10:53 PM   #55
Mee-n-Mac

Default Night time SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
I see boats out cruising at night and in the dark at speeds of 30-40 mph and assume they use a global positioning system to assist their normal eyeball vision for steering. The technology of gps has created a new boating venue on Winnipeaukee enabling boaters to cruise along up on plane in the night. With a lot less boat traffic out there at night, it's a good time to be out on the water and the stunning surroundings take on a whole new look.....night-time. Even a small rowboat w/ a two horse outboard is supposed to have the required red-green-white lights for the night and it can always be seen by an 8000lb-500hp 31' Baha Bandit that is night cruising up on plane at speeds of 30mph and faster. Wasn't there a night boating fatal accident in August 2002 involving a 31' go-fast and a 22' bow-rider where the driver claimed the white stern light of the other boat was not lit up?
Sorry FLL, I took this post as one to debate the nightime vs daytime aspects of a SL. Answering your question above I believe the MP estimated the speed of the Baja at about 27 MPH, not really a different velocity than the proposed 25 mph. The problem was not one of, hmmm, speed but rather that of (IMHO) observability, in this case (IMHO) limited by the driver's state (IMHO, have I protected Don enough here) not speed. SLs won't protect us from bad helmsman not matter what people say.

This said, the discussion of night time vs day time SLs are 2 different issues and should be approached as such. As for a 25 mph night limit ... Please make your case. I'm not against SLs as a rule, but there must be good reasoning & evidence for them .............