Thread: Irwin Toyota
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2022, 10:30 AM   #17
DoTheMath

Well, in todays market of low supply and high-ish demand, here's how it went... Called Irwin on Thursday, confirmed with sales manager vehicle (new '22 Toyota) is in stock. I said I'll be in Sat am to check it out and will buy unless it is something other than represented. So, got there Sat am, as I said I would be, vehicle out and ready for test drive. Sales guy gave me the keys, I asked "anything I should know about it beyond the obvious". He pointed out a few features and sent me on my way. Went for a ride, was as as expected (owned two of these previously), so went back, gave the sales guy the keys, he asked how I liked it, I said I loved it, let's close the deal. At THAT POINT he asked "did you talk pricing with the manager?" I replied "not really, I saw the pricing on your website, I just wanted to confirm that it was still available before I drove up". To which he replied "oh, ok, well there is a $4,000 Market Adjustment (about +10% of MSRP) on the vehicle due to the current supply shortage". The look on my face said it all and I came back with a "WTH", and I said "I'll pay you sticker". He said no-go and I walked out, but not before delivering my thoughts to him (in a professional manner) on the non-disclosure of said MA after I expressed my interest in (really) buying it to the mgr., and BEFORE I drove 2 hours up, took it for a test drive and then sat down to seal the deal. I said, "you have my number, call me if anything changes".

Should I have asked if there was an MA on it when I called? Hmm, maybe. But there was no proactive mention on the website of it or from the manager when we spoke. Are dealers doing this these days, some are. (Although GM and Ford recently issued warnings to their dealers, no MA's or we'll pull your franchise). Was this a shady BS move on their part? Sure felt like it. Wouldn't care about it in general, as someone will prob buy it anyway with the MA on it, but I do care that they didn't disclose it to me up front and ended up wasting my time.

Got to the house and called another dealer in NH that day, sold me the exact same vehicle at MSRP and even offered to deliver it to me - in MA - for free. No BS, no hidden fees, no haggle, just a straight deal. Bought it right then, over the phone in 5min. Irwin would have been more convenient and I would have loved to have kept the business in the lakes region. But as stated by a few previously, you can buy "here" and service anywhere.

Lesson learned? Yep. Ask ALL the questions, CYA as the dealer wasn't looking out for me so much as themselves. Which is what they are really in business for, I guess, but sure would have been nice if they played it straight from the get-go.

Side note - riding was great this past wknd, cold but trails were in great shape, Mt. Shaw had lots of snow!

Off my soapbox, rant over, enjoy your day and thanks again for all the feedback... now you have mine to add to it.
DoTheMath is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoTheMath For This Useful Post: