View Single Post
Old 07-02-2014, 08:57 AM   #6
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarisman14 View Post
Thanks for the reassuring words guys. I had kinda reached that conclusion myself by the end of the day yesterday but just needed a shove in that direction to set it in stone.

I'll be ordering a carb kit, fuel pump diaphragm kit, and having a buddy of mine put some crimp-style plug ends on there instead of the crappy pointed sparkie style ones that make poor connection and generally just don't work that well.

After replacing those things, if it still doesn't seem to want to work right, I'll be looking for a capable outboard mechanic to look at it...Do you guys have any suggestions? I have a friend that works at Fay's and he suggested a guy by the name of Dave as he has experience with old outboards. Hopefully he'll look at the Chrysler as lots of people don't even want to bother with it.
Probably Dave's Motorboat Shop is who they are referring you to.

I concur with the others, I would look to fix the Chrysler first. Although parts may be easier to find for a Merc and the extra HP would be nice, there will be added work to remove and mount the new motor and the unknown of what you are buying. If your steering, shift and throttle cables do not mate up that will be more work and expense. Added weight probably as well with the 50hp.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote