Thread: Drowning
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2006, 11:57 PM   #75
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Responses to questions & ideas

Hi All,

Boy its hard to write intelligently here for me here on the Forum sometimes. Its often difficult just to know where to begin, and as previously stated in other postings, I need to choose my words carefully.

One thing I can tell all of you wonderful people-this is just something I have to do. I want to do it. It makes me feel good. I enjoy the work involved. Its a labor of love, pure and simple. In situations like this I really like to win. By win, I mean find what I’m looking for, for obvious reasons. I wish I could post more detail about what I have planned, who is working with me etc. but its not a publicity stunt of course or a side-show. NOT that anyone on the Forum treats it like one-its important for you to know I recognize this.

Nor is it my intent to appear mysterious or evasive when I don’t write more because 1) I don't want to get anyone's hopes up by loud-mouthed speculation just to fill in white space, tease your imagination or sound like a big-shot-thats just not me (Ross Perot said it well about people like that…”Big hat-no cattle”) 2) I don't want to have to explain my self to law enforcement IF they should care to bust my crackers and tell me what I can and cannot do. I don’t break any laws ever when doing this work. Persons in law enforcement as a rule are good people but the few I have encountered that think they’re God and control all aspects of things like this piss me off. I’ve seen it time and again. Other people who do what I do have seen it time and again. The stories others have told me...bad, really bad. I couldn’t even get the Captain I spoke with at Fish & Game to return a 2nd call I made to him after I first spoke with him on 8/14 to offer my own SSS, which he declined to take me up on as we know (I had another question to pose to him). If he thinks I am going to call him again he’s wrong. He made his position quite clear to me-I just read between the lines-simple. And I assume they are reading all of these posts.

Answers to:
Cool Breeze: Topo map-if one was available I’d like to see it, but I wouldn’t know where to look. For ground searches we use USGS 1:24,000 or 1:25,000 topos-awesome maps. However I know of no such thing for water. The best I could come up with would be depth soundings or the graphical images I have from the scans recorded on to the onboard laptop we used Sunday.

Mee-n-Mac: Tracking a moving object-regardless of its buoyancy-would be very difficult if not impossible even with the gear we have. The speed we scan at is super slow-2/3mph as an average-in other words the boat would move faster than the object, unless we are in the CT River when they let water out to generate power or similar body of water. And we have to keep the towfish from crashing into the bottom. That’s why turns to re-position ourselves for another run along the lines we have laid out in the computer have to be shall we say…deliberate.

GWC: I like your idea about the UNH Maritime Club- I will call them. Great suggestion.

Airwaves: Diamond Island article didn’t help but what a great read! Stories like that are what make Winni, Winni.

Joann721: You along with all the others in their own words, said it well…it does a soul good. I feel that everytime I set out in my boat or car to do this work. Which by the way is purely voluntary-I have a job-really. I’m self-employed so that really helps with making the time when it needs to be made.

MistyBlue: The word “synchronicity” came to mind when I read your post. Lying in bed thinking about this thing I figured out a quick way to get some of the current data I want-dive the damn thing. I want to lay out a series of floats and/or dive flags in a grid using GPS with orange surveyors tape in 10 or 20 foot increments along the line down to the weight on the lake bed, then dive down the line and see whats flappin’. Not only will it give me an idea of current (if any) but what direction. I would stop at about 70 feet max. for several reasons unless I had company. BOAT/US is kind to offer what they did-I don’t think I need them at this time-but it could change. Thanks for making the call to them. Are you a diver? I will call you to discuss.

Mee-n-Mac: Body simulator-neat idea. Reminds me of a story one of my CT. River dive buddies told me a few years back. Seems a local Fire Dept. was doing rescue training on the river using just such a setup. Fully clothed dummy, simulating human weight and dimensions etc.. Then they lost it in the river-had to notify the public not to freakout if a “body-like” object goes by in the water. Clothes and all.

Your idea has merit, but I have my hands full with what I do best. Assuming we could hang such a device just off the bottom it would be very interesting to see where it went. Very interesting indeed. Homework assignment: Take your idea and run with it. Let us know.

Waterbaby: I intend to call Dive Winni to ask some questions that they might well know the answers to. Thanks. As for the Forum Fest, that sounds like great fun. Do I qualify even though I don’t have a place on the Lake? Just kidding. It would be great to meet you folks.

I will hold my course on this search and will post what is appropriate to post, when its appropriate. Thanks all for your kindness and support.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote