Thread: Drowning
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006, 08:31 AM   #40
Mee-n-Mac

Question Rescue options

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg
I just don't get it. When someone jumps in off a boat and doesn't surface in like 6 seconds doesn't ANYONE he/she was with jump in and see what (if anything) has happened? People jump/swim off my boat all the time and you can bet I'd be in the water in seconds if they didn't surface in a reasonable time. Think about it, "reasonable" is really only seconds.
It's not clear to me that in either case there was someone available that could swim to even attempt (whether smart or not) a rescue. In the Gilford case 2 people went swimming and there's only mention of 1 left remaining on the boat. He (correctly IMO) tried to manuver the boat back to the swimmers when he saw them in distress. In the Rattlesnake I case it appears both men went swimming leaving the wife and fiancee in the boat. Did either of them know how to swim ? or pilot the boat ?? I don't know.

The best rescue option would have been a throwbag (or lifesling if you want to be fancy) like SteveA mentioned. I have to admit I gave some thought to getting one after the Lake George accident ("What would I do if I ever came upon a similar situation") but never acted on the thought.

FYI - http://www.boatus.com/foundation/Fin...ine_launch.htm