Thread: Drowning
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2006, 07:47 AM   #30
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Reply to Rattlesnake Gal

In answer to your question-it wasn't Marine Patrol that declined-it was one Capt. Garabedian of Fish & Game. As I understand it F&G has control in these situations in the State of N.H.-I never called MP because of this. As time is of the essence I was frustrated to say the least by his response-but believe me, not surprised. Its astonishing that they-or anyone else-would decline an offer of free high-tech help. Am I Bob Ballard?-heck no-but I've got equipment, skills and motivation I'm willing to bring to the table free of charge. If you think about it, you know in your gut why F&G declined. At this point I'm not afraid to name names.

Here's another true story-a few years ago I get a call from a close friend of the Emerson family-this is the fellow whose plane went into the lake with a passenger on board up around Moultonboro. As we already had a great idea where the plane was, he wanted to know if I would dive it and flag it. I said of course but I needed to make a call to F&G to check in with them so to speak-as they are running the show. When I called and asked why nobody was diving the crash site that day-and I quote-"We're not diving because its raining". I won't even get into my personal thoughts at that point-it speaks for itself. And don't get me going when that LearJet dissappeared in '96 after overshooting Lebanon Airport. F&G and State Police had-shall we say-differing opinions of who was going to run that show. This was a serious dispute and I got that information first hand from Pat Hayes, brother of Jay Hayes, one of the pilots of the Lear.

As for temperature at, say, 100 feet, in Winni you're looking at 38-44 degrees, roughly. There are various factors that impact what happens to a body in that environment-body fat content, what they were wearing, currents, if any, marine life, what they ate that day and more. I was scallop diving off Gloucester last week in 70 feet of water and it was 48 degrees.

As for re-surfacing, of course body knows for sure when, and if, he does. appear.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote