Thread: Kayak fees
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 07:53 PM   #41
ApS

Exclamation While We Talk, Concord Plots...!

If fees are collected for "use", why aren't fees calculated for the number of acres-per-second a boat would use—before it would become an infringement of other watercraft rights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
I don't mind the power boat related F&G fee, we use the boat all season long. We have a canoe and kayaks that are used 2 or 3 times a year. Like many they are not launched at a ramp. I have never seen paddle sport folk clogging a launch ramp. In general they could usually launch to the side of a power boat ramp. On a busy day it is the power boats using a ramp one after another. OK F&G is underfunded and we do need those guys and gals around. So our two kayaks are the answer? There is a voluntary "hike safe card" that also applies to paddling. If you don't buy a card then you may have to pay for any rescue.
https://wildlife.state.nh.us/safe/
Years ago, the NH Gazeteer sounded the death knell for canoes on Lake Winnipesaukee. Canoes, though still legal, are justifiably becoming an "endangered species". It's just too difficult to remain upright after being struck by a wake from oversized boats—with their non-empathic skippers. Kayaks have a familiar danger, as recently, a kayak was sliced in half by a distracted "Captain".

Kayaks are somewhat easier to control, but even their days are numbered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not to Worry View Post
Thanks for the link I did listen to and now understand where this came from. I personally do not believe they will place a free on a non motorized kayak canoe, etc. Having said that I am sure they will find additional dollars somewhere. Maybe more fees on snowmobiles, boats, fishing, hunting licenses etc...but not kayaks. Least that is what I think.
Concord is reviewing this kayak proposal closely, as they've already spent the funding with which they'd previously absconded—from the NHMP.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote