View Single Post
Old 11-20-2020, 06:33 AM   #12
steve-on-mark

Default Under Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Agreed they can be irritating. But you should be able to set the tire pressure monitors to whatever pressure you'd like so that they're only warning you when you need a bit more air. This is a good thing, especially since modern tires do not show out ward signs of low pressure until they are super low. Full disclosure--mine have been flashing at me for a week, I really need to add some air. Damn things
Tire pressure monitoring systems were mandated by the federal government...wasn't the manufacturer's idea to add them. The properties of air change with temperature...1 pound of air pressure for every 10 degree temperature change. If you set your tires pressures on a 60 degree day, when the temps drop to 20, the tire pressure goes down 4 pounds, and sometimes it's enough to turn the light on. This is why some places advertise nitrogen filling of tires...it has different properties and pressure stays the same. I advise people to set their tire pressure a little high in the colder months...the pressure will still drop, but not low enough to make the tpms light come on. Some manufacturers also disable the ability to turn off traction control systems ( Honda for one ) whenever the tpms light is on. That's a pain when you need to get some wheel speed in the snow...when I keep a 12volt inflator in my trunk...just in case I need to inflate..while on my way to the lake!
steve-on-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve-on-mark For This Useful Post: