View Single Post
Old 06-02-2023, 12:04 PM   #474
Cal-to-NH

Default Thoughts while Shaving - "The HUB"

So the "go for it all" philosophy of 2020 killed this.

Remember these take-aways

* On the two previous votes, more than 50% of the voters were in favor. For this one it was only 45%. - learn from this.

* This project was destined for failure in 2020, you just didn't know it yet. The $5.5M First-Phase project (track, courts, rooms, etc) that could have been expanded in the future, that the Selectmen voted in favor of, back in 2020, was the lost opportunity. By organizing the "I want it all" $7.3 M project and putting it in THE SAME town meeting, and with the Selectmen voting against it - was your undoing. Not only did your option go down, the $5.5M project still got >50% of voters. If your voters had also voted for it, the town would have easily reached the 66% threshold. The cost would have been a 10-yr bond at 1.3%. If you had gone for your additional needs in a second phase today, you may well have succeeded.

* It will be years now before you get the economic conditions AND the positive reception by the town that will make this project possible.

No joke - As I sat there, the HUB people gave us a project that was well-planned. All the "i"s dotted and "t"s crossed, very good. These folks were honest and forthright, had no desire to name-call, etc.... Embarrassingly, the other side was not so civil.

But-be-that-as-it-may, Just keep in mind that the answer to this is NO, will likely continue to be NO, and if you don't change your plan it will be like Groundhog Day...
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal-to-NH For This Useful Post: