View Single Post
Old 07-01-2022, 06:56 PM   #34
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
You could remove the blade and start the mower, if it doesn't clang... then a new blade should keep it going for a while.

Other than that... not worth the amount of parts and labor to replace either with a cheap gas mower or a decent battery if that is what you want.
OK, that was interesting. It turns out that the blade is severely bent. I can just imagine what that force did to the motor. The motor wouldn't start without the blade. End of a 19-year relationship.

So, if I use 40 gallons of gas per year at $5 a gallon, that's $200 a year, or $1000 over 5 years, which is the expected lifespan of a battery mower. The mower + a new battery after year 3 would be about $700. Surprisingly, the battery mower may be cheaper at today's gas prices?

I'm leaning toward a non-self-propelled battery mower because they're lighter and simpler (fewer things to go wrong). I do have some hills (grades) on my property but the mower + battery weighs about 60 lbs, so maybe that's manageable. My gas mower was probably about 85 lbs. Any thoughts on non-self-propelled?
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote