View Single Post
Old 05-18-2016, 10:30 AM   #20
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRay View Post
Its amazing how few boats on the lake even have VHF radios anymore. When I was a kid, boating in the 80's and 90's, everyone had them. It was how you raised your buddies to find out which sand bar you were on.

Last year, I turned mine on to 16 to see if any life was out there. Nothing. I even broadcasted "Is anyone actually tuned in to 16?" No responce. I did it a few times too.

On the ocean, it's a whole different animal! When I am out there, I feel like my cell phone would be useless....
CrownRay -- I wouldn't leap to the conclusion that just because no one answered you means no one heard you !

I for one monitor two channels -- one we use for friends and all those conversations you referred to back in the 80's / 90's the other of course is CH 16.

Personally I do not tend to respond to broadcasts such as you describe ....

My definition of proper use of ch16 is for (1) Hailing another boat - then move off channel (2) Weather or boating advisory ..... (3) Hailing MP to advise misplaced or missing spar (4) Aid needed for me or another boat (5) EMERGANCIES (6) and on a VERY VERY rare occasion a radio check -- this is only when I have changed something .... new antenna, wiring, replaced radio, etc.

To your point, we were active boaters on the Lake in the 80's / 90's and quite frankly CH 16 was cluttered with useless & unnecessary chatter that most times was quite annoying. Who cares where you & your buddy plan on going and I don't want to be forced to listen to a long discourse of you two trying to figure out where each other are by radio --- tying up the channel...

MP tried very hard during those days to continually jump in and remind people that the channel was for hailing or emergencies ---- while others treated it as an extension of their then popular CB radios in the car or truck --- including 10 codes and "good buddy"/ "Breaker Breaker" lingo

Please understand -- I am not trying to be harsh --- simply do not jump to conclusions that no one heard you.